Pinterest.com is the social media site that everybody is talking about. With swelling visitor numbers, despite still being invitation-only, it is already showing that its popularity is well deserved, thanks to its innovative design and style.
Statistics show that the majority of Pinterest’s users are female, and 97% of those who ‘like’ the site on Facebook are women. Whether this will even out over time remains to be seen, but for the time being the proliferation of the imagery of arts and crafts, recipes, and expensive shoes on the site are, rightly or wrongly, fulfilling many stereotypes about women’s interests and concerns.
When Pinterest users spot an image they like on a website, they can share it with their followers on their Pinterest page. This is known as “pinning” an image. Others who see that pin can then ‘like’, comment upon, or “repin” the image, i.e. share it on their own page. Pins are organized on customized “boards”, so that the images are themed.
Its focus on the visual has made Pinterest a central hub of beautiful imagery. Whether it is virtual shopping lists, dream home photography or close-up shots of homemade food, Pinterest members are making the most of the medium to provide themselves with pictorial representations of how they wish their life to be.
One way in which people are taking advantage of Pinterest’s features is to brainstorm ideas for their wedding. Boards for wedding planning, bridesmaids’ dresses, wedding cakes, bridal paraphernalia, jewelry and flowers are pinned and repinned with gay abandon, providing shared ideas about the vital details which combine to make a bride’s day perfect. These visual storyboards show trends and hopes, where women take inspiration from celebrities and fashion designers and work out how to translate them to their own big day.
Wedding boards on Pinterest are also proving helpful for individual women to show whoever will be decorating their cake, arranging their flowers, or making their dress exactly what they want. When my planner asked for my ideas on decor or floral bouquets, I was able to send her my pins for quick reference.”
The popularity of planning nuptials on Pinterest means that there is no shortage of ideas on the site. Even if none of your friends are planning their own wedding, a quick search reveals thousands of pins from other people on the subject.
When you start to refine your tastes, it is easy to delete pins if you have changed your mind about your color scheme, or if something that appealed to you at the start of the process no longer has a place. Friends and family who also use Pinterest can give you feedback on your ideas, and it is even possible to create shared boards, where multiple people have permission to post. You could start a board where all your bridesmaids can pin their favorite pictures, and another for you and your Maid of Honor to plan the bachelorette party activities.
Gone are the days of scrapbooks, scissors and glue for wedding planning storyboards. Nowadays, Pinterest is the place to plan your wedding hairstyle, shoes, table decorations and wedding favors. Its advantages are clear, from the ability to easily share your pin boards with others, to having access to considerably more inspirational images than could be found in wedding magazines or brick-and-mortar shops.
While Pinterest.com may still be finding its place in the social media sphere, it is firmly establishing itself as an essential source of eye candy and fantasy visualizations. Its use, therefore, as a tool for wedding planning is obvious. After all, if a woman can’t dream of fairy tales and perfection for her wedding day, then when can she?
How to Keep Warm
Keep your bridesmaids warm by adding gorgeous pashminas to their outfits in rich autumnal colors such as aubergine, orange, and burgundy. You could either coordinate these to their dresses or have them in a contrasting vibrant shade. Chocolate is the perfect shade for sophisticated bridesmaids gowns; you could then assign each of your ‘maids with their own autumn color for their pashmina, shoes, and other accessories. For a little bridal glamour why not add a cropped fur jacket or stole to your wedding gown? Or if you want something a little more rustic, a cashmere or angora cardigan would also be a great choice. Also essential to staying warm on your big day is having the right kind of wedding car: an open topped car is probably not the best option at this time of year in case there is a rain shower, or the wind creates mayhem with your perfectly styled hair. Instead opt for something that will protect you from the elements. A vintage car decorated with a vibrant orange ribbon would be the best fit for this wedding theme: choose beautiful cream cars for yourself, your groom and the rest of your wedding party. Make sure the wedding vehicles you’ve hired are adequately insured though, especially if you’re choosing vintage vehicles, as they aren’t always reliable and you don’t want the car you’re driving in to be breaking down on the way to the church!
“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
- Did you know that trees are the longest living organisms on earth?
One (a single) tree produces up to 260 pounds of oxygen a year. That is more than enough to supply oxygen to a family of four people. Make that a few thousand trees, and you’ve got an oxygen supply for a whole town
· Over the course of 50 years, a single tree can generate $31,250 of oxygen, provide $62,000 worth of air pollution control, recycle $37,500 worth of water, and control $31,500 worth of soil erosion.
Going Green with trees is an inspiring way to make your wedding day unforgettable and share with your friends and family just how easy, fun, & beautiful a sustainable lifestyle can be.
- 1 . Give guests the greenest favor of all: live tree saplings!
- 2. Tree seed in eco-box kits are versatile favors made with recycled card stock with your choice of 6 tree seeds that will grow in at least one US climatic zones.
- 3. Earth friendly tree seed packets wedding favors in recycled papers with complete growing instructions are amazing in a variety of colors & designs.
- 4. Tree seed embedded in biodegradable handmade paper tree cards are incredibly unique gifts, 100% plantable these are extremely “green”.
- 5. Go the natural route with Tree Centerpieces. Grow your own or visit a local nursery for a 3-4 year old mini-evergreen tree, in a decorative pot these are powerful “green” symbols of a sustainable lifestyle.
- 6. Plant tree Place card favors, combine tree seed favors with place cards, decorate reception tables with tree seed favor ornaments on tree branch centerpieces accompanied by your guest’s names.
- 7. “Fall in Love” tree seed favors. Personalized with your names and wedding date these eco-friendly seed wedding packet favors are a favourite for earth-conscious couples.
- 8. Decorate your reception venue with rented live trees from a local nursery or garden center. What a socially conscious way to support local business and bring the outdoors in any time of year.
- 9. Hanging tree favors/Place card seating with a crafty branch decoration. Outside the reception area hang your place cards/seed favors on a small tree with invisible thread and create an opportunity for fun finding their names on the cards with their table numbers.
- 10. Place an eco-friendly tree seed favor in a terra cotta pot at each guest’s table setting. Decorate the pot to complement your colors or style. Guests can take the seeds home and plant them in the pots.
Plant a “green” wedding favor and your wedding day memories will last a lifetime!
By Sheila Sheffield, Plant a Memory for a greener tomorrow!
Say it With Flowers
Although summer is the season most famed for the variety of its wedding flowers, there are still plenty of incredible options for flowers if you choose to have a rustic-style autumnal wedding. Fiddle fern has a wonderful rustic charm, and looks incredible teamed with rust and orange flowers. Alternatively you can opt for thistles for a natural feel or orange calla lilies if you want something very bright. Incorporate plenty of leaves and greenery to give the effect of bringing the outside in, and let nature be the driving force of your rustic autumnal wedding. It will look so effective, and will have people talking for months afterwards!
Wedding Favor Ideas
The incredible variety of options available for rustic fall wedding favors is almost endless. We love the idea of evergreen favors: write a personalized message to each guest and they can then plant the card and grow a beautiful tree to honor your special day. Alternatively, if you want something a little more colorful, why not try Iris flower bulbs which have a beautiful color and can be presented in either gift boxes or miniature burlap sacks. You can extend this favour into your theme, as burlap could be used to make napkin rings, be incorporated into your table centerpieces, and you could even use burlap table clothes if you want a really rustic-looking occasion. And don’t forget the power of herbs: they make amazing favors as well as adding wonderful fragrance to bouquets and floral displays.
September 17, 2013,
By Julie MacArthur.